Dr. Saroj Kumar Pani is a faculty member in the Corporate Strategy area of IIM Nagpur. Dr. Pani is a Fellow of IIM Bangalore in Corporate Strategy and Policy and an MBA in marketing. He has also completed the CPCL program from Harvard Business School, Boston. Prior to joining IIM Nagpur, he has worked for more than thirteen years in industry and academia. After completing his MBA, Dr. Pani has worked in pharmaceutical, advertising, and market research firms. He also has a brief entrepreneurial experience as co-founder of a start-up. After completing his doctoral program, he has worked as a visiting faculty at Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Italy and as a full time faculty member at IIM Indore, and later at XLRI, Jamshedpur.
Dr. Pani has been recognized for his teaching and research. He has received Andrew Towl Endowment Fund from Harvard University, Best Young Teacher Award from AIMS, Best Research Paper award at pan-IIM World Management conference, Best paper award at ICSBS, Singapore, and Outstanding Reviewer award at the Academy of Management annual conference, San Antonio, Texas to name a few. Apart from research and teaching, Dr. Pani has also been involved in executive education and training programs. He has successfully conceptualised and conducted programs for organizations of repute such as Mahindra Finance, SBI Life, MRF, Ashok Leyland, Indian Oil, ONGC, Time Technoplast, Border Security Force, Indian Army, and Rajya Sabha Secretariat to name a few.
Dr.Pani’s area of research broadly relates to socio-economic strategy, business model innovations, entrepreneurship, and Bottom of the Pyramid (BoP) strategy.
His teaching interest broadly covers competitive strategy, corporate strategy, business models, strategy for subsistence economies, and emerging markets.
- “LifeCarft: The Birth of a Social Entrepreneur”, 2017. (with H. Singh)
- “Divine Chocolates: Family Farmed, Farmer Owned”, 2016. (with S. Samuel and P. Rathi)
- Tata Steel India’s Project PRIDE”, 2014. (with S. Bose)
- “Finally the Elephant danced: Foray into cellular jungle, a case of BSNL”, 2006 (with A. Mishra)
Journal Articles, Monographs and Book Chapters:
- “Corporate Political Activity: An Integrated Model” in Asian Social Science, 2015, Vol. 11, No. 16. (with Kumar V., and Thakur M.)
- “Power Imbalance in Inter-firm Exchange Networks: Its Effect on Value Appropriation Potential of Firms in Embedded Structures” in Emerging Issues in Management (ed. Book), Emerald, 2014.
- “Reinventing the Artisan Community Ecosystem: The Evolving Engagement of Fabindia with Indian Handloom Artisans” in Journal of Product Innovation Management, 2012, 29 (1). (With Ramachandran J., and Pant A.)
- Case note on “Infosys: Transition at the top”, Indore Management Journal, 2012: 3(2).
- “The Effect of Economic and Social Embeddedness of Firms”. Research Monograph, 2011
- Case note on “Euthanasia: Should it be Lawful or Otherwise”, Indore Management Journal, 2011: 2(2).
- “A dependency based view of Organizational Social Capital (OSC): Understanding the structural and reputational aspects of OSC, and its effect on performance” in Changing Ideas in Strategy, (ed. book), Narosa, 2010.
- ‘Enhancing Business Sustainability and Gaining Competitive Advantage through CSR Initiatives: A Process Model for Corporations’, Vishleshak, 2008, 2(2).
- “What do I get? A study on firms’ social investments on their own wellbeing”. ICSBS Conference on Enriching Global Societal Wellbeing, Singapore, August, 2017.
- “Lessons from the Failures at the Bottom of the Pyramid”. Sixth Subsistence Market Place Conference, Illinoi, USA, June, 2016. (with Chaterjee A.)
- “CSR Internalization and Competitive Advantage of Firm”. 16th BESSH Conference, Indonesia, September, 2015.
- “Innovative Management Practices and Interventions at the Base of the Pyramid: An Organizing Framework”. Strategic Management Society (SMS) special conference, Mohali, India, December, 2013. (With Pant A.)
- “Embeddedness and value appropriation” Academy of Management (AoM) Annual Conference, Lake Buena Vista (Orlando), Florida, USA, August, 2013. Included in Academy of Management Proceedings, January, 2013.
- “Power Imbalance in Inter-firm Exchange Networks” pan-IIM World Conference on Emerging Issues in Management, Goa, India, May, 2013. Best paper award.
- “Value appropriation in economic networks: Does relational strength matter?” Academy of Management (AoM) Annual Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, August, 2012.
- “Inter-firm dependencies and firm’s profit potential”. Academy of Management (AoM) Annual Conference, San-Antonio, Texas, USA, August, 2011.
- “Why and how do firms gain from CSR actions?” Academy of Management (AoM) Annual Conference, San-Antonio, Texas, USA, August, 2011.
- “Base of the Pyramid Strategies: A Contingency View and an Organizing Framework’, Strategic Management Society (SMS) special conference, San Diego, June, 2011 (With Ramachandran J., and Pant A.)
- “A Case Survey on CSR Process, Internalization, and Competitive Advantage” Managing in Global Economy XIV, Eastern Academy of Management (EAM) Conference Proceedings, June, 2011.
- “Society as source of competitive advantage: A case survey on CSR actions and firm performance”. Academy of Management (AoM) Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, USA, August, 2009.
- “Why do some firms gain from Corporate Social Responsible (CSR) actions, while others do not? A case survey on CSR process, internalization and competitive advantage”. IMR Doctoral Conference, IIMB, Bangalore, November, 2009. This paper was among the finalists for best research paper award.
- “Firm performance in socio-economic networks: Understanding network dynamics with Nodal Power”. Academy of Management (AoM) Annual Conference, Anehiam, CA, USA, August, 2008.
- “Organizational Social Capital: A Theoretical and Mathematical Treatment”. Strategic Management Forum (SMF) Annual Conference, IIT Kanpur, India, May 2008. This paper was awarded “Cummins Best Paper Award”.
- “Ability to compete: Creating fortune for the bottom of the pyramid”. Strategic Management Society (SMS) special conference, ISB, Hyderabad, December, 2008. (With Ramachandran J., and Patvardhan S.)
- “From Corporate Social Responsibility to Competitive Advantage: A Process Model Exploring the Strategic Edge of CSR”. Accepted for presentation in third CORE conference, NBS, UK, June, 2008.
- “Business Sustainability and Competitive Advantage through CSR Initiatives: A Process Model”, DRIEMS International Management Seminar, Bhubaneswar, India, March, 2007.
- “Facets of organizational social capital: How network renovation is key to favourable strategic space”, IIMB Working Paper No- 278, 2009.
- “Exploring the strategic edge of Corporate Social Responsibility: A process model to uncover the missing links”, IIMB Working Paper No- 283, 2009.